Grand Forks Public Begins Curbside Pickup
Update: October 23, 2020
We received unfortunate news that one member of our team has tested positive for COVID-19. Effective immediately, the rest of our staff will be self-quarantining at home. Curbside Pickup and in-library appointments will be paused for two weeks. Book drops will also close during this time. After November 6, we will re-evaluate and provide an update on future operations.
Grand Forks Public continues to monitor the recommendations and guidelines of government and public health officials regarding the COVID-19 pandemic. To ensure safe operations, we are taking a phased approach to resuming services.
Grand Forks Public is excited to begin offering Curbside Pickup services. This new offering will help keep our community safe and socially distanced, while providing access to the library’s large collection of materials.
Hours of curbside pickup operations are:
- Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays
- 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. and 4-6 p.m.
How Curbside Works
You may place items on hold through our website, which is the preferred method. If you need assistance placing holds, you can call 701-772-8116. If the line is busy when you call, please leave a message with your name and phone number, and we will call you back to gather your hold requests. There will be a limit of five holds per library card, and a total of 20 holds per family. Once you receive a hold confirmation letter via email or mail, you can pick up your available items on the next curbside pickup day. Pickup details will be included in the hold letter.
Please park in a curbside pickup spot designated by colorful flags, open your trunk, then call the library with your name and parking spot color. A library worker will bring your holds and place them in your trunk. Please wait until the library worker is at least six feet away if you need to exit the vehicle to close your trunk.
- Place your hold. Wait for your hold letter to arrive via email or mail.
- If you do not have a mobile phone, call before you leave home.
- If you do have a mobile phone, drive to the library during curbside pickup times (11 a.m. – 1 p.m. and 4-6 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays).
- Park by a colorful flag.
- Give us a call: 701-772-8116. Staff will ask which flag you are parked at and verify your account. (If you are picking up an item, do not leave a message.)
- Open your trunk. Then wait in the vehicle.
- If you need to step outside to close your trunk, wait until staff are at least six feet away before exiting your vehicle.
- Return any old materials to the drive-up book drop. Do not hand these materials to staff.
- Enjoy your new materials! Snap a picture and share it on social media using the hashtag #GFPSummerReading.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I place a hold?
Visit our online catalog or, if you need assistance, call 701-772-8116. If calling after hours or staff are not available, you can leave a message with your name and contact information and we will call you back as soon as possible for your holds list.
How many holds can I place?
You can place five holds per library card, or a maximum of 20 holds per family, if placing the holds online. Hold lists via phone call are limited to five total. Regular account limits still apply.
Can I request materials from other libraries?
At this time, we cannot place holds for interlibrary loans.
Where do I park when I get there?
Park at one of the six colorful Curbside Pickup flags, located near the bike rack in the northwestern corner of the parking lot.
How soon will my books be ready?
Holds placed on one day will be available for pickup on the NEXT Curbside Pickup day (on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays). Please wait to pick up your materials until you have received your hold confirmation letter via email or mail.
If my holds appear to be ready, can I pick them up?
Please wait until you receive your hold confirmation letter via email or mail. This will ensure your items are truly ready for pick-up.
Can someone else pick up my holds for me, such as a spouse, relative, neighbor, etc.?
Yes, someone else can retrieve your items. However, we will ask them to confirm some identifying information to ensure we have the correct person.
Are the books clean when I pick them up?
Yes. Per CDC and ALA recommendations, all returned items will be quarantined for four days. These items will not be checked in until they have been properly quarantined. Staff will use gloves to handle all materials.
What should I do with my hotspot?
Please return hotspots to the book drops as well, packaged in their protective casing.
What about due dates?
Regular due dates will apply, and you will have the option to renew materials. Because we are implementing a four-day quarantine of materials before checking them in, no late fees will accrue during this time.
All items borrowed from other libraries (interlibrary loans, or ILLs) need to be returned as soon as possible.
What if I don’t have a vehicle?
If you do not have a vehicle and plan to walk up for Curbside:
- Call before you arrive (701-772-8116).
- Then stand by the navy blue flag next to the bike rack.
- Your items will be placed on a designated table.
What if I don’t have a mobile phone?
If you do not have a mobile phone, please call from your landline as you leave your home and let us know how far away you are.
Can I return books? How?
Do not hand materials to library workers. Items must be placed in book drops for proper handling and quarantining. This is to ensure the health and safety of both staff and the public.
Why are the items I returned still showing on my account?
Returned items are quarantined for four days. They are checked back in after this quarantine period. Do not worry—fines will not accrue during this time period.
Can I come into the library?
No, the library is still closed at this time. Thank you for your patience.
Can I use the restroom?
No, the library is still closed at this time. Public restrooms are available at the Grand Cities Mall to the north of the library.
In the event of bad weather, will Curbside Pickup be available?
We will monitor the weather as we offer Curbside Pickup services. In the event of severe or dangerous weather conditions, including lightning, heavy rain, wind, thunderstorm, etc., we will postpone Curbside operations for the safety of our staff and patrons. Changes will be posted to our website homepage and on social media.
Are you accepting donations during Curbside Pickup?
We are not accepting donations at this time. Thank you for your patience.
The library does not yet have a reopening date. We have a four-phased plan for safely reopening. As we move through the phases, details will be posted on our website and Facebook page. Our top priority is keeping our community safe. We thank you for your patience and understanding at this time.
Services Available Now:
- Outdoor Wi-Fi near the library
- eBooks, audiobooks, and other online resources
- Virtual programming on Facebook and select virtual book clubs
- Online library card requests
Additional Services Coming at a Later Date:
- Library building will reopen with time and capacity limitations
- Computer use, including copying, printing, faxing, scanning, etc.
- Interlibrary loans
- Paying fines
- Reserving meeting room
- Browsing the shelves
- Gathering with friends
- Children’s department, including in-person storytimes
- During this phase, library staff are required to wear masks when working with patrons.
- All returned materials will be quarantined for four days. Fines will not accrue during this time.
- Staff will wear gloves when handling returned materials.
- Frequent handwashing and disinfecting, as well as staff and patron social distancing, will be ongoing.
- Please use proper hand hygiene after returning items to the book drops.